Windows to the Wildlife Soul
Wildlife portrait photography is the art of capturing the essence of a wild animal in an image. The saying ‘the eyes are the windows to the soul’ applies to wildlife as much as humans. But what are we hoping to see in the wildlife soul? If you learn to recognise them, many expressions can be captured in wildlife portrait photography when we achieve a visual connection. Curiosity, fear, playfulness, and watchfulness are stories our images can tell, but we need to learn to recognise them and be prepared to take that shot. Understanding how to frame your subject and the ideal camera settings for the situation will help you capture engaging wildlife portraits.
Please join me for this workshop to help develop your understanding of wildlife portrait photography techniques.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- How to approach your subject and position yourself for the best light and angle.
- How to choose the appropriate aperture, shutter and ISO settings.
- Exposing for the lightest part of your subject.
- The different types and uses of exposure metering modes.
- Capturing expression.
- Achieving focus on the eyes with single-point focus.
- Shooting angles to enhance the impact of your images.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Your interchangeable lens camera.
- Preferable telephoto/zoom lens between 200mm and 600mm.
- The manual for your camera.
- Notebook and a pen.
- A towel or mat to sit or lay on.
- This workshop is suitable for digital cameras with manual controls (P, A/Av, S/Tv and M modes), including DSLRs and interchangeable lens mirrorless cameras.
To be advised.
TIME & DATE
To be advised.
Enquire about the wildlife portraiture workshop...
Join award-winning wildlife photographer Diana Andersen on an unforgettable Botswana Photography Safari in 2024. This tour is an African adventure, experiencing the magic of Mashatu Game Reserve in Botswana and the Chobe.
A private photography lesson is the best way to improve your photography skills. One on one training will help you address aspects of your animal photography that you might be struggling with and help you to take your photography to the next level.
Birds in the landscape is a category in many bird photography competitions. Learn to shoot wider and include the environment in your images to create more engaging images that tell a better story about the lives of your subjects.